Dr. Gutow is expert in the care of injuries and disorders of the hand and Upper Extremity. He has over 20 years of practice experience in treating the most complex fractures and injuries and in providing reconstructive surgery for arthritis and other disorders of upper extremity for thousand of patients. Patients often are referred to him for treatment of complex fractures of the upper extremity by other providers. In the treatment of disorders such as dupuytren contracture and carpal tunnel syndrome he performs office procedures and minimally invasive endoscopic treatments when possible. He has many years of experience in the use of microsurgery in the reimplantation of severed fingers and hands which methods also apply to the treatment of isolated nerve and blood vessel injuries.
Dr. Gutow is an active educator of other surgeons, speaking at national meetings and serving as an Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor at Stanford teaching and supervising the residents and fellows in orthopedics and plastic surgery in the treatment of patients with complex bone, tendon , nerve and blood vessel injuries of the arm. He is the author of many scientific articles and book chapters. He was an early developer of techniques for the minimally invasive treatment of scaphoid fractures and was an editor of a Hand Clinics dedicated to the treatment of Distal Radius ( wrist ) fractures.
What Makes You Different?
When I am performing surgery on patients' fractures and injuries I appreciate that my role is to use my experience and expertise to spend whatever time and efforts is needed to get the patient the best possible outcome from the injury they have suffered.
I work together with my patients to help them restore as much function as we can.
795 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94301
What's your favorite activity to do in your free time?
- Hand Surgery
- Upper Extremity Surgery
Medical Education & Training
- Medical School: University of Michigan, 1990
- Residency: Yale Orthopedic Surgery, 1995
- Internship:Yale General Surgery, 1991
- Fellowships: USC Joseph Boyes Hand and Microsurgery 1996
- Years in Practice:24
- Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor, Orthopedics, Stanford Medical School
- Percutaneous fixation of scaphoid fractures.
Gutow AP. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2007 Aug;15(8):474-85. doi: 10.5435/00124635-200708000-00004. PMID: 17664367
- Avoidance and treatment of complications of distal radius fractures.
Gutow AP. Hand Clin. 2005 Aug;21(3):295-305. doi: 10.1016/j.hcl.2005.04.004. PMID: 16039441
- Percutaneous internal fixation of scaphoid fractures via an arthroscopically assisted dorsal approach.
Slade JF 3rd, Gutow AP, Geissler WB. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002;84-A Suppl 2:21-36. doi: 10.2106/00004623-200200002-00003. PMID: 12479336
- Intra-articular distal radius fractures: arthroscopic assessment of radiographically assisted reduction.
Edwards CC 2nd, Haraszti CJ, McGillivary GR, Gutow AP. J Hand Surg Am. 2001 Nov;26(6):1036-41. doi: 10.1053/jhsu.2001.28760. PMID: 11721247
- How surgeons make decisions when the evidence is inconclusive.
Hageman MG, Guitton TG, Ring D; Science of Variation Group. J Hand Surg Am. 2013 Jun;38(6):1202-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jhsa.2013.02.032. Epub 2013 May 4. PMID: 23647639
- Surgeon volume and operative mortality.
Gutow AP. N Engl J Med. 2004 Mar 18;350(12):1256-8; author reply 1256-8. doi: 10.1056/NEJM200403183501217. PMID: 15028832
- Arthroscopy of the metacarpophalangeal joint.
Slade JF 3rd, Gutow AP. Hand Clin. 1999 Aug;15(3):501-27. PMID: 10451827
- The management of bone defects of the forearm after trauma.
Stevanovic M, Gutow AP, Sharpe F. Hand Clin. 1999 May;15(2):299-318. PMID: 10361640
- Effects of calcitonin gene-related peptide on bone turnover in ovariectomized rats.
Valentijn K, Gutow AP, Troiano N, Gundberg C, Gilligan JP, Vignery A. Bone. 1997 Sep;21(3):269-74. doi: 10.1016/s8756-3282(97)00142-7. PMID: 9276092
- Byers BA, Graw BP, Baksh D, Mauck RL, Rackwitz L, Tuan RS. Compromised Maturation of Tissue-Engineered Cartilage in the Presence of Pro-Inflammatory Cytokines IL-1 and TNF. 53rd Annual Orthopedic Research Society Meeting, San Diego, CA, 32:663, 2007.
- Graw BP and Wiesel SW. Low Back Pain in the Aging Athlete. Contemporary Spine Surgery. Volume 9 Number 5 May 2008. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Graw BP and Wiesel SW, Low Back Pain in the Aging Athlete. Sports Med and Arthroscopy Review. 2008 Mar; 16(1):39-46. PMID: 18277261
- Graw BP, Giori N. Rotational Alignment of the Proximal Tibia. 2010 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA. Podium Presentation.
- Graw BP, Giori N. Rotational Alignment of the Proximal Tibia. 123rd Annual Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Association, June 2010, San Diego, CA. Poster Presentation.
- Graw BP, Goodman SB, Woolson ST, Huddleston JI. Minimal Incision Surgery as a Risk Factor for Early Failure of Total Knee Arthroplasty. 123rd Annual Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Association, June 2010, San Diego, CA. Poster Presentation
- Graw BP, Goodman SB, Woolson ST, Huddleston JI. Minimal Incision Surgery as a Risk Factor for Early Failure of Total Hip Arthroplasty. 123rd Annual Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Association, June 2010, San Diego, CA. Poster Presentation.
- Irani AR, Graw BP, Goodman SB. Bilateral Knee Arthrodesis in a Patient with Common Variable Immunodeficieincy. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2010 Oct;25(7):1169. PMID: 19729268
- Graw BP, Woolson ST, Huddleston HG, Goodman SB, Huddleston JI. Minimal Incision Surgery as a Risk Factor for Early Failure of Total Hip Arthroplasty. Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research. 2010 Sep; 468(9):2372-6. PMID: 20352391
- Graw BP, Harris AH, Tripuraneni KR, Giori NJ. Rotational References for Total Knee Arthroplasty Tibial Components Change with Level of Resection. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2010 Oct; 468 (10): 2734-8. PMID: 20352384
- Graw BP, Woolson S, Huddleston JI. Candida Infection in Total Knee Arthroplasty with Successful Reimplantation. Journal of Knee Surgery 2010; 23: 169-174. PMID: 21329258
- Mayle RE, Graw BP, Huddleston HG, Woolson ST, Goodman SB, Huddleston JI. Minimal Incision Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Risk Factor for Early Revision Surgery, Journal of Knee Surgery, Accepted December 28, 2011. PMID: 23150354
- Hartford JM, Graw BP, Frosch DL, Knowles S. Isolated Greater Trochanteric Fracture and the Direct Anterior Approach Using a Fracture Table. American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. Annual Meeting 2017, November 2017, Poster Presentation.
- Hartford JM, Graw BP, Frosch DL, Knowles S. Isolated Greater Trochanteric Fracture and the Direct Anterior Approach Using a Fracture Table. Journal of Arthroplasty. 2018 Jul; 33(7S):S253-S258. PMID: 29555500
- Hartford JM, Graw BP, Frosch DL, Knowles S. Isolated Greater Trochanteric Fracture and the Direct Anterior Approach Using a Fracture Table. Rapid Fire Presentation, Total Joint Replacement. Western Orthopedic Association, Annual Meeting 2018, Aspen, Colorado.
- Graw B, Hartford J, Cooper J, Frosch, D, Yu, E, Balazsy L, Wilson Jones, K. Electronic Platform Enhances Patient-Reported Outcome Measure Collection for Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty within a Multispecialty Group. Poster Presentation, American Academy Association of Orthopedic Surgery, Annual Meeting 2019, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Furnas HJ, Graw GJ, Cho MJ, Othman S, Graw B, Percec I. Safety in Female Genital Plastic Surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. [publication in process].
- Hartford J, Graw B. Perioperative Complications Stratified by Body Mass Index (BMI) for the Direct Anterior Approach to Total Hip Arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty. April 2020. PMID: 32389402